Monday, April 25, 2011

Peace, Love and Yarncraft

Manos Del Uruguay



I'm a Crafty Woman. Some of you might be surprised by that but it's true and official. My friend Terri invited me to join her Crafty Women group.  We meet once a month and everyone brings their crafty projects - crochet, knitting, beading, etc.  At my first meeting in November, Rose and Meg put a hook in one hand and some yarn in other and now I'm hooked.  (get it? Crochet? HOOKED!)

I haven't really tried to tie in (get it? Yarn? TIE IN?) my newly-acquired yarn-craft obsession with my blog until the group held a yarn swap. It was a lot of fun seeing what everyone brought that they didn't want anymore, and that there was a home for everything.  I was sifting through the pile looking for natural and sustainable fibers and scored HUGE with about 5 or 6 skeins of Manos Del Uruguay cotton yarn produced and dyed by hand in a fair trade non-profit collective whose mission is to bring economic and social opportunities to rural women.  I have no idea what I'm going to make with it, but I love that I got it for freesies and that it's the kind of fiber I can feel good about working with.  That got me thinking...what else could be 'green' about this hobby? Turns out a lot.  I plan on doing a series of posts about the greener aspects of yarn craft, starting with projects to help me keep our house 'green.'

Ann's Peace Sign Dishcloth

Terri's Watering Can Dishcloth
My first crochet and knitting projects were dishcloths.  I've made a dozen or more since November.  Dishcloths are a great way to learn to do basic stitches, and to learn how to be consistent with tension.  I like making my own, and giving them to friends.  I've gotten a little obsessed with knitted pattern dishcloths, and have had a lot of fun collecting patterns that 'belong' with different friends. (so everyone act surprised if you get a dishcloth.)

Swiffer Sweater
I also made some 'Swiffer Sweaters' to use instead of the disposable cloths that go on the bottom of the Swiffer-like floor sweepers.  I had bought some micro-fiber ones a few years ago, but had fun making these myself.  They work well, too.  I like that they are quick to make, and take very little yarn, so I can make them out of smallish bits of leftover yarn from other projects.
Bags for Rounds
Cotton Rounds
Next, I found a pattern for re-usable cotton rounds.  These are like little pads that can be washed and used over and over instead of buying those flat cotton pads for removing make up and washing your face.  I made some bags to put them in, and keep the clean rounds in one bag, and used ones in another.  I just toss the whole bag full in the washer when I run out.  I made a set for my friend Natalie, and included a soap sack as well.


Finally, I made an iPod Touch case for my friend, Jenn.  I think it turned out really cute.  I found a button made of reclaimed wood to hold it shut.  I've got loads of ideas now about how knitting and crocheting can be part of a 'green' lifestyle.  Be watching for future posts!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment